Saturday, August 1, 2009

Her First Ride

Yesterday, when Jamie got home from work, we had a couple of errands to tend to. I drove the suburban with all the kids, and Jamie, taking any opportunity he can get, led the way on his bike. We stopped by the dealership where he'd purchased the bike, and ended up getting a helmet for the kids to share. They were all so excited because this meant they'd finally get to ride with their dad.

It was dark by the time we finished our errands, but Lily wanted a ride so bad. I explained to her that she would need to "hold on like she didn't want to fall off." Jamie was up to it, but I told her that it would be a short, slow ride for now. She got the helmet on and I helped her on the bike. She held onto him so well, that he said, "She's crushing me." I said, "Good." And off they went. When they made their way back around, Lily thought she'd try to get of and ended up feeling the heat of the bike on her ankle. She said she got burned, but I didn't even find a spot on her.

Then Jasmine wanted a turn. She got the helmet on, and Jamie put her up on the bike. As soon as he got the kick stand up, Jasmine changed her mind. She wanted off. I got her off and Rosalie decided she'd take a go at it. After getting the helmet on her, and putting her on the bike, I was the one that was uncomfortable. With the helmet between her and Jamie, her tiny little arms barely reached half-way around her dad. Her legs were too short to reach the foot pegs, too. She had an uncertain look on her face, and I said, "I don't think so. She's too little." I got her off, and Jamie parked the bike.
When we got in the house, Iris wanted to try on the helmet, and then all the girls wanted turns holding it. I think the younger girls were more excited about the new helmet than actually getting to use it.

Sweet times, and good memories. That's one of my favorite memories with my dad. He would take either I or one of my siblings for a ride on his bike. I loved to go with him, and would volunteer any chance I got. The last time I rode with my dad was before I got married. I look forward to getting a chance to ride with Jamie now...which I still haven't. I'll have to get a babysitter to do that.

2 comments:

thenewwittys said...

That sounds SO much fun! I would totally invest on a babysitter to go riding...for sure! It would be such a romantic date.

Anonymous said...

We'll babysit. just let us know when.