Thursday, August 6, 2009

All Dolled Up

Very rarely do I get to put on my make up without an audience. Even if I have my door closed, one of the girls manage to make the discovery that "mom is putting on her make up." This morning was like any other. Before I even got the zipper open on my make up bag, Jasmine was behind me saying, "Mom, can I have lipstick?" To her surprise, I said yes. Her face lit up, and she grinned ear to ear. "Can I have the purple one?" This is her favorite lipstick in my bag. I give it to her, and Rosalie and Iris came wanting a shade for themselves as well. "Can I have lips too?" Iris asked. I love listening to Iris and her cute way of communicating. So, the three of them got to put on lipstick. I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures of my girls.
I remember being little and watching my mom get ready. I never got to play in her make up, though. I certainly don't let them do this every day, but let them do it enough to keep them from getting into my make up when I'm not around. My mom passed away when I was 11. One of my memories of her is simple and plain, just being there watching her put on her make up. I want my girls to remember the simple day to day things. I was watching them putting on the lipstick, being so steady and careful not to make a mess. I'm going to miss that when they get bigger. Just writing this makes me tear up. One of my greatest joys in life is, without a doubt, being a mom to my kids. Nothing will ever replace that. God has blessed me so richly, and for that I am thankful.
So, parents out there that work so hard to keep your kids out of your make up, that cabinet of pots and pans, or from pulling every book out of the book shelf, surprise them one day and let them do it. You won't regret the memory that each of you are making.

3 comments:

Midwifemama said...

I always love "catching up" with all of your family. Thanks for the little day-to-day activity posts.

thenewwittys said...

Julie, this touched home with me, because this is one of things that I LOVE to do--watch my mom put on make-up. I know that i'll remember it forever...and although Andrew is a boy I'm sure that when and IF we have a baby girl, she'll be the same.
I LOVE the picture of all 3 girls at the end, making their mouths pout! That's such a keeper!

Unknown said...

Thank you Julie! I really need to remind myself why God has brought me to where I am. As I read this it reminded me that I am first and formost my children's mother and I need to take the time to enjoy them while I can.