Thursday, July 9, 2009

My baby is 1!

Levi turned a year old on July 1st. This birthday was difficult for me. He's our last, so I want him to be the baby as long as possible. But that obviously can't happen. I've either been pregnant or tending to a baby as long as Jamie and I have been married. I look forward to the next chapter in our family story...kids a bit older, bigger, more independent...but frown with the knowledge that it will inevitably happen. I'm going to really miss having a baby in the house.

My children, from their pregnancy to where they are now, are highlights of my life. I wanted to share pictures of Levi from the past year, but also his birth story. This is an edited letter written by my midwife, close friend, and second mom, Betsy. Hope you enjoy...

Dear Levi,

Your mom and dad have had your name picked out since before their first baby was born, and that was over six years ago. It's a blessing to have you arrive so that you can appropriate your name. Your name Levi means "attached," or "joined." The first boy who was named Levi in the Bible was named that because his mom Leah thought that because she had him, her husband Jacob would now become attached to her. The family of this man Levi became a tribe in Israel. The tribe of Levi was very important to the Lord...

A few weeks before you were born, one of my friends was praying for you...she was thanking God that you would be like the thumb is to the fingers on the hand of a man. It is very hard to grasp anything without a thumb, so the thumb is very important, but it is different from the fingers. They work together beautifully. Because you have four sisters, they are like the fingers, and you are like the thumb. You need each other, yet you are very different. And you wouldn't be as useful or good without each other. In the same way, you and your sisters will work together even though you are all different. You won't tear each other down or work against each other, but you will learn each other's strengths and be stronger together.

One morning before you were born I was still lying in bed when the Lord spoke a word to me about you...It was the word "Yours." I believe with all my heart that God was telling me...you are His. Then the day after you were born, I was reading Psalm 4, and the 3rd verse spoke to me of you. It says, "But know that the LORD has set apart him that is godly for Himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto Him." You, Levi, have been set apart by God for Himself. You were dedicated to the LORD before you were born. You will be a godly man...

Your birth was much anticipated. Your mom and dad and I thought you would be born 21 days before you decided it was time. We had two dates that were estimates for your arrival, June 10 and June 23. And you went past both of them. On the evening of June 30, your mom lay down about 11pm to sleep. She was tired and ready to rest, but you were finally ready to come, and as she lay down, your labor pains started, and wouldn't let her sleep!

Your sisters all slept through your birth...In about a couple of hours, after you had been weighed and checked and you had your first meal, your sisters all woke up and came in to see you. They surrounded you on the bed, and they were full of wonder and amazement at you. You mom and dad love you very much, and so do your sisters...


I don't know if you will be your parents' last child. It looks like you might be, but even if you aren't, Levi, I want you to know that there will never be anyone else just like you. You are special to me because I've been at four of the five births of you and your sisters, and you are like a little grandson to me.


God bless you richly, Levi. Love Him deeply and above all else.

Betsy







3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girl back from vacation and realized I missed Levi's birthday and then when I went to work I saw that you are off for a while. I miss you guys and hope Levi had a good birthday. Give all the kids my love and hugs. I hope to see you again soon miss our talks at work. God Bless you and all you kids and Jamie
kim

Anonymous said...

Awe! I can't believe he's already 1! What a sweet letter from Betsy! Thanks for sharing.

Miss Y'all!
Chelsea

thenewwittys said...

I absolutely love this post! And those pictures of cute little Levi!