Saturday, July 25, 2009

My sweet Rosalie


Any of you that have been around Rosalie knows just how sweet she is, right? Her little voice, so shy when she talks to you. How she likes to spin and twirl in her dress like any girl does. Her smiles and giggles light up the room. But there's a side of her that only I get to see. Her mood can change at the drop of a hat. Her face shows exactly what she's thinking, and if you're no so lucky, some times she'll go even further to tell you.

Well, this morning she decided to tell me what she thought. Yesterday morning, while I caught myself a shower, Rosalie and Iris got a big bag of Cheetos off the counter and polished them off. This was before I'd fed them breakfast. And of course, once I'd put breakfast on the table, I couldn't get them to eat. So, this morning, Rosalie asked quite a few times to have some Cheetos (we eat a lot of Cheetos at my house, so we by 2 bags at a time). I told her "no" each time she asked. Then she grabbed a stool and attempted to get them herself. I got on to her, and then moved the bag way out of her reach. Oh, you should have seen the look she gave me. I was in the middle of telling her, "I'm cooking breakfast right now, and you're not going to fill up on Cheetos..." She started whining, "But Mom, I'm really, really, really hungry! My tummy is empty. I need to eat. I want to eat Cheetos, PLEASE!!!" I told her "no" again, and her pleading turned to anger, "You're a mean mama. You are so mean!" Normally, I wouldn't let her get away with that, but this morning I thought I'd test her. So, I told her, "You're right, I am mean. That's why this breakfast isn't for you. It's for your sisters. And so are those Cheetos."

I got the breakfast set on the table, and called the kids to come eat. Rosalie followed them, and I didn't serve her. She said she was hungry, and I answered with reminding her that I was a mean mama. Her attitude quickly changed, as I'd expected. "No, mama, you're not mean anymore. I'm really hungry." I gave her her plate, and told her that I expected her to finish every bite. I'm careful to serve all the kids the same amount of food, and try not to give them too much. Well, everyone finished all of their breakfast, with exception of Rosalie. She told me that her tummy was soooo full, "See, it's too big to finish my food." I told her that she had to finish like her sisters did, and I regained my title of being a mean mama.

She makes me laugh. If you upset her, her most common response is "You made my heart melt." She expresses herself very well for her age. I just have to watch out for what mood she's in at the moment. Right now as I type this post, she's telling Iris, "I'm not your friend anymore Iris!" I guess I have to go be a mean mama, and put that girl in her place.

No comments: