Friday, April 29, 2011

Oh, the thoughts in my head...

You know the thoughts in your head that tell you to do something?  Hopefully you do, or I'm just crazy.  I'm referring to that inner voice, your conscience, your moral compass that directs your actions.  Call it what you want, but I often hear it as God speaking to me.  I credit it to God because sometimes it tells me to act on something outside of my comfort zone.  No, nothing bad, just things that I, as everyday Julie, could make a thousand excuses as to why I "can't" do something.  Which is the situation I found myself in today.  The kids and I went to pick up something for lunch.  We got our food, and I stayed parked so we could eat before heading home.  A woman employee, who I have seen numerous times around town, came and asked if I needed anything else.   After she assisted me and went away to tend to other customers, I started thinking about why she's always stood out to me.  I've lived here for over a decade, and have seen this woman many, many times.  She works at a few different places here in town.  And, from what I've witnessed, she's a really hard worker.  She works much faster and harder than her younger co-employees.  I've always been met with a big smile and kind word from her whenever I've come in contact.  Today was no different than any other.  So why today was she so heavy on my mind after she went away?  My mind started racing about the car I've seen her drive, and if she has kids (which I assume she must with her working multiple jobs), what struggles does she face in her day to day life just trying to get by...  These thoughts in my head then told me that I needed to go to her.  This is the part that is completely out of my comfort zone.  I'm a busy mom, with lots to do, and I don't have time to go talk to strangers...especially when I could come off as a crazy woman in the process.  But I also knew that I couldn't drive away without doing it.  So, I struggle...do I obey what I feel God is nudging me to do, or do I ignore it?  Then I start thinking about the many, many, MANY blessings in my life.  God has been so good to my family and I.  He is our provider.  And He's always loved us, even though we are undeserving.  I try to teach my kids to listen to what they feel God wants them to do, and what example would I be if I didn't follow my own words?  So, at this point, the woman is back, assisting the customer next to me.  Without hesitation, I get out of my vehicle (as I now realize that this is my open window of opportunity).  I approach her, and say, "Ma'am, God told me to give you this.  I just couldn't drive away until I did.  I've seen you so many times in town, and what you do is much appreciated.  Blessings to you."  The woman thanked me, and I'm sure I seemed like an absolute lunatic, but an obedient lunatic was I.  Don't ask about what I gave her...what's important is that I was able to drive away with a clear conscience that I did what God had me there to do.  I'm confident that whatever purpose God nudged me to speak to that woman was fulfilled.  I come in contact with a lot of people.  Honestly, I prefer them to not "bother" me as I am busy, and have my kids to watch after.  But often I'm approached with a comment about how well behaved my kids are, or what a beautiful family I have.  That means a lot to me because my number one job is to be a wife and mother.  A kind word or act can make a big difference.  So, I urge anyone that reads this, to listen to that inner voice when nudged, and to also share kindness because you never know the impact you'll have in someones life.  If nothing else, you will impact your own life as a result. 

Easter was this past Sunday.  We were able to go to church.  I missed out on the service, but was blessed to get to help out in the nursery, as it was full that day.  I love seeing the little ones (and the grown-ups too).  Here's a picture of my little ones before church...


1 comment:

Midwifemama said...

Love the picture, and I love that you listen to God. Love you, too.