Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lonely...waiting...tired...Daddy-sick

Jamie is working out of town this week. Therefore, I've been kind of gloomy during the day, and when evening hits, I don't exactly rush off to bed. There's just too many noises in the night, and I've realized just how much Jamie makes me feel safe and secure. Which is why I'm typing this at around, oh say, midnight.
Since I've been staying up late, I've had a hard time getting up in the morning. So, the girls had brunch today. Lily wanted to know why we were eating later than usual, and I told her that I haven't been sleeping well since her dad was gone. Yesterday, Lily overheard me telling Jamie, over the phone, that he must be home-sick. So, she was quick to respond, "You must be Daddy-sick. That's why your not sleeping good." She's so sweet, and she's exactly right...I'm "Daddy-sick."

Although I terribly miss my husband, it's been good with him gone. It's been a time for both of us to reflect on how much we love each other and need one another. I can tell that he really is home-sick because every day he's called and asked, "Have the girls asked about me today? Do you think they miss me?" And of course they do. Monday, when I told Lily that Jamie would be out of town, she asked, "How long? Will it take months?" I told her he'd just be a few days, and her reply was, "Wow, he must have gone to another country for a while." Lily took the liberty of telling her sisters that Jamie would be gone, and Jasmine said, "Yeah, he's at work." It was no big deal to her. But Lily holds back tears at the mention of him being away. I gave her my phone so she could call him. When he answered, Lily's voice trembled, "Daddy, it's me, Lily...when are you coming home." Don't think I'm crazy, but it's a beautiful thing watching her miss him. And I can't wait for him to walk through the door when he gets home. There will be four little girls jumping, running, and yelling, "Daddy! Daddy! You're home!" And a big girl with a hug and a big kiss waiting for him. Okay, now off to bed for me...at least I have Levi to snuggle up to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, you're not crazy. I love watching (my) Lily as she crawls around the house, looking for her daddy.... and then when he gets home from work, her face lights up in excitement.

Yeah, I get it.