Thursday, February 12, 2009

For a good cause


Less than a couple of weeks ago, I took Lily to get her hair cut. Her hair tangles real easily, so I need it to be a more manageable length. When we got home, Jasmine had said, "I want to get my hair cut too." I brushed the comment off at the time because I've always loved Jasmine's hair. It's naturally curly, and is pretty easy to take care of. And I know she loves it too. She'll twirl around and let her hair fly, and say, "I'm a princess!" Or she'll come out and head-bang, flipping it all over the place, while Jamie and I are playing Rock Band. Her hair is thick and healthy. She always gets compliments about her hair. But lately I've noticed more and more breakage, and she's been messing with it so much that we've had a few occasions where tangles were a problem. I asked the people at the hair salon about Locks of Love. If you don't know what that is, Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children suffering from long-term medical hair loss (you can check out their site at http://www.locksoflove.org/) . I showed Jasmine the website, and let her think about it for a few days, even though her initial reaction was "I want to do that." Earlier today I called and got her in for the appointment. She was grinning from ear to ear...not only on the way to the salon, but during the entire hair cut. She loves her new hair do. Over and over after the trip, I've heard, "I got a hair cut...do you like my new hair cut?" Which I do. She's beautiful either way. So, now she's a bit lighter on her feet (minus about a foot of thick curls), and her locks will go to bless a girl out there soon.




Got to give a plug for my salon. I and the girls are loyal to a local salon called Freak Show. Shelby always takes great care of us. And since the hair is being donated, the cut was free of charge.

5 comments:

Tayizzle said...

Wow that's really awesome. My friend Bry did the same thing. She wanted to raise a $1000 for St. Judes so she told everyone that she would shave her head if she met her goal. She had raised about $200 when 2 guys heard about it and donated the rest plus some. So she cut her hair for Locks of Love, then shaved the rest off. A local tattoo place donated a tattoo, so now she has the HOL & St Jude logo on the back of her head.

Anonymous said...

Wow... Jaz looks more grown-up! :o) The grin is priceless. You can tell just by looking at her that she feels good, both inside and out.

L.o.L. is a great organization. My old roommate donated her long blond hair to them a few years ago. I only wish I could do the same...

Unknown said...

Hey Julie, I love it she looks more grown up now. Can't wait to see it on Sunday. I am hoping to get mine trim or dyed this weekend. Tell Jasmine I love her hair cut and think its pretty. See ya Sunday
Kim

Mokshana said...

that is so awesome! The girls definitely look older with shorter hair.....such a wonderful lesson to teach the kids early on about giving to others!

thenewwittys said...

Hey! I recognized Shelby from the Freak Show! I was so glad that I found someone I liked in town to cut mine too! And I did't know they did Locks of Love...that's so neat.